Did you ever want to make a living as a digital nomad?
I’m asking you because people keep asking me about how I got into making a living online. They ask how I started as a nuthouse nurse and ended up as a digital nomad in Asia.
So, if you’re fed up with your current job and lifestyle and you’d like to learn how to start working online, from anywhere in the world, then this article will be vital to you.
First, before we get into the practical stuff, here’s, let me tell you my story:
Nuthouse Nurse Quits & Leaves Country
Back then, in Germany, I worked as a nurse in a psychiatric hospital.
I’d reached a point in life where I needed a change in life… or else lose my marbles. I needed a change from all this meaninglessness: work processes that don’t make sense, toxic people, a lateral drift in a world where everybody tries to fit in. I had to break out.
So, finally, after 8 years of subscribing to lunacy, I quit my job and booked a flight to New Zealand.
I canceled all my contracts (apartment, insurances, phone, Internet, gym, etc.) and sold my car. You can’t imagine how incredible I felt, breaking all those “paper-chains!” Except for a bank account, I had no more contracts that would shackle me to a life of so-called stability. And, I didn’t owe a cent to anyone.
My colleges, friends, and my family members thought I was crazy. They wondered, “How could you throw away your stable life, give up a secure job, and replace your steady income with a life full of uncertainty?”
Fast forward, a couple of months later…
9 Months Later: $500 – No Job – No Flight Back Home
In hindsight, I can’t explain what drove me to make this decision. But, I was sitting in a coffee shop in Vietnam and, just an hour ago, my chance to catch my flight back home, had passed.
I was 9,400 km from home. No job. No health insurance. And I didn’t even speak Vietnamese.
Here’s everything that I had left:
- $500 in total (bank account plus cash)
- An old laptop
- A suitcase with my clothes
Fear kicked in.
What if I ran out of cash? Would I end up on the streets begging for food? I was sure, being a nurse wouldn’t help me here.
I checked into the cheapest hotel I could find in walking distance, and in the next couple of days, I contacting my acquaintances in Asia.
Hope & First Contact with the Digital Life
Eventually, after a couple of days of desperation, I got introduced to this Austrian dude, the CEO of a fresh marketing agency. He said he may need a web developer to create his clients’ websites.
So, I told him, “Listen, I know next to nothing about making websites. But, if you take me on board for a month –without paying me– I’ll work my ass off for you. I’ll hit the books every night, right after work. Then, if, after the 2nd month, you think I’ve been of value to you, pay me $100. Next, after the 3rd month, should I have doubled my value to you, bump it up to $200. And so on.”
Guess what happened?
He agreed. I worked in a small media agency, cranking out websites, for 8-10 hours a day. And, after work. I went to a coffee shop and to study PHP, HTML, CSS, … till my eyes turned to sandpaper.
Because, in the beginning, my income was zero to none, I stayed with a friend who rented a ramshackle room for $50 a month. His flat was on the 5th floor, and it didn’t even have a toilet (only a shower). So, if I wanted to pee in the middle of the night, I had to run to the ground floor to a cockroach-infested toilet. Or, for the sake of convenience, sometimes we’d pee into the shower.
My income climbed, month by month, from zero dollars to $600 a month… all while I kept devouring a multitude of books and courses on email marketing, SEO, illustration, design, coding, etc.
My First Freelance Gig
Eventually, after months of overwhelm, stress and fight for survival, my hard work paid off. I had made a couple of new friends, and it turned out, one guy wanted me to set up his website! One happy client led me to the next one. It goes without saying, I stopped working for that agency and started to be my own man.
I built dozens of websites, sent more than a million emails (for a famous whiskey brand), ranked clients’ websites on Google, designed logos & brochures, and so on. All over the Internet.
Instead of being shackled to an office job, I turned coffee shops into my office (aka coffice).
Making money from my laptop? Oh boy, as you can imagine, this was completely revolutionary for me.
What a Digital Nomad Life Does NOT Require
Most people tell me, they’d love to free themselves form 9-5 prison. Start a new life. Quit everything. Generate an income online. Travel the world.
But then, they’re convinced they can’t. Ever. Either they’re too old, too inexperienced, don’t have talent, or come up with other reasons to stay in status quo.
Let me address these objections here briefly…
You don’t need education
- I graduated from high school and had no clue about coding when I started.
You don’t need any talent
- I didn’t have any talent. You just need to heed Dan Kennedy’s advice. He said, “If you’re short on talent, discipline is your best substitute.”
You don’t need to be young
- I started after almost a decade of working in the hospital at the age of 34! And, I think, you can easily start with 40, 50, or 60 years.
You don’t need any money
- I had $500 in my pockets. The Internet is brimming with marvelous resources that teach you everything you need to know for free.
You don’t need experience
- You don’t need any experience. You only need common sense and persistence.
You see, it doesn’t matter what you do, how old you are, and what’ve done before.
Whether you are a housewife, a gardener, a cashier, you can free yourself, leave everything behind and start a new life. You can launch into a new career in the digital world.
And, best of all, you don’t even need to do quit your job, as I did. You can learn the ropes of making money online while enjoying a stable income at your current job.
Where to Start Learning About Making a Living Online?
Because I don’t want you to think, I’m trying to sell you something here, I’ll give you all the FREE online learning resources here first. Check them out, subscribe to email lists, join the forums. Most of the best stuff is 100% free. Later, if you feel you need a comprehensive, organized material, consider investing in a solid on Udemy, for instance.
Let’s start with the free resources right now:
Free Online Resources That’ll Turn You Into Digital Nomad
BlackHatWorld is THE numero uno online marketing forum. Because of this forum, I’ve made my first dollar with an affiliate website. And, I am sure, you can do so too. And yes, you’ll find some shady tactics on BHW. But you’ll mostly discover a welcoming community of people who share with you a plethora of strategies to ethically and legally make a living online.
10 Money-Making Skills & Methods
- Easy 100 USD per Day – Ideal for Beginners & Make $1000 a Month With Amazon
- Easy as fuck: On-Page SEO Checklist
- Top BHW Money Making Methods, Guides and More
- Start your own web-development business
- How to sell SEO services to through cold emails
- A couple beginner tips, low cost/free money making methods for beginners
- Ask me anything about Wordpress
- The Most Popular BHW Making Money Threads
- The Keyword Research & Competiton Analysis Guide
- 6 Ways to Increase Your Website Traffic
MJ DeMarco, the famous author of The Millionaire Fastlane, launched this forum when his book went viral. This forum you’ll find a community of marketers (online and offline) who frequently post brilliant advice on launching a business, generating web traffic, copywriting, sales strategies, and so on. Check it out.
5 Top “Start Your Online Career” Posts
- How to Start Your Digital Marketing Agency & Hit $5K in Less than 90 Days
- Lex DeVille’s 15 Days to Freedom – Make Money Copywriting in 15 Days or Less
- How to Learn Code, Start a Web Company, $15K+ per Month within 9 Months
- Building a Team Around You That’ll Follow You to Hell and Back
- So you want to know the EXACT steps on how to import and sell products on Amazon? Here you go
“Grow Your Blog. Make More Money” is SmartBlogger’s tagline. Blogging-superstar Jon Morrow is making $100,000 month with through blogging and online business. Learn on his blog how. This blog is a tremendous resource for anyone who wants to make money blogging.
3-Core Posts to Learn How to Make a LIving with Blogging
- Affiliate Marketing for Beginners: Go from 0 to o$1,000 in Passive Income
- How to Make Money Blogging 2019
- How to Start a Blog Post: Research Reveals 20X Faster Method
This guy, Pat Flynn, turned into blogging legend. He turned his life around by making serious money blogging. On his website you’ll find everything you need to know about blogging, choosing your niche, doing keyword research, and so on.
3 Massive Value Posts to Launch Your Online Business
- Pat Flynn’s Epic Guide to Affiliate Marketing
- Pat Flynn’s Massive “Getting Started with Blogging” Resource
- How to Get Started with Email Marketing
If you want to get into the SEO business, learn everything you need to know to put your website in the top rankings of Google, creating content that outshines all competitors in your niche, peruse this website carefully. The author of this blog could easily charge lots of dollars in exchange for his free stuff.
3-Posts To Boost Your Internet Marketing Career
- 23 SEO Writing Hacks That Give You Instant Results
- The Ultimate Guide to Freelance Writing Jobs for Beginners
- Google’s New SEO Starter guide: What You Need to Know
Reddit got a couple of “sub-Reddits” that are highly interesting for any Internet Entrepreneur. Whether you want to know how to set up your own Wordpress site, ranking your site in the search engines, or sell affiliate products, you’ll find some great treasures here.
3 Sub-Reddits You Should Subscribe To
You want to know how to write compelling content that sells? Great, then this is your goto-blog. Copyblogger is full of material on how to write better content and how to market it to a buying readership.
3 Top Value Posts To Help Boosting Your Website
- A Simple Plan for Writing One Powerful Piece of Online Content per Week
- 30 Tips to Help You Become a Sought-After Freelance Writer
- 10 Ways to Get More Blog Subscribers
Fundamental Free Skill-Development Resources
Do you want to code your own websites from scratch and sell them to clients all over the planet? Here’re a couple of resources that have been useful to me for my learning my craft as a web developer.
Learn to code, developing websites from scratch using this site’s interactive and playful interface. It’s free an brilliant. If you want to try out if coding is something you would be interested in, you can register and go through their free material.
Are the creative kind of person? You like to design logos, graphics, brochures, web-layouts? Cool, then the resources below will grant you access to everything you need to know to turn into a designer.
This massive resource teaches you everything you need to know to use Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and a bunch of other applications to wrap your head around the design business.
This is a huge community of creative design-addicts and artists. Here you’ll find inspiration and advice from design pros and amateurs.
You love to draw and sketch and dream about turning into an artist who sells his work to gaming companies and movie studios? On ConceptArt you’ll get lessons, encouragement, the inspiration to turn into a professional artist.
Where to Sell Your Online Skills?
You’d like to sell your skills as a web developer, content writer, designer, etc.? Here, on the three platforms below, you’ll find clients online. You just need to register, fill in your details, and start promoting yourself to land your first online gig.
Fiverr is an excellent platform to start making money selling your services online with zero investment and low risk. You can set up your profile easily and quickly get some experience under your belt.
On Guru.com you’ll find, you can find a more refined array of services being offered. Some guys, for instance, offer web development for a low entrance fee, others charge more than 5 figures for a single site.
Just like Guru & Fiverr, here you’ll be able to sell anything that you can do over the Internet.
How To Find Your First Clients?
Now, other than publishing your services on the websites above, what are particular strategies to land an online job? Here’re a couple of posts that you’ll find helpful to find online clients:
- BHW Tutorial on finding clients via LinkedIn
- How to Win Good Clients for Free
- How to Find Customer
- 8 Ways How I Found My Freelance Writing Clients, Making My First $1,000 [SO YOU CAN TOO]
Where To Find Professional Step-By-Step Courses?
Okay, for most people, all these free resources are all they need. Other people require a more structured approach to learning new material. Like, f.e., a step by step course that leads you from step-A, the foundation, to step-Z, making your first dollar online. If you’re in that category of learners, so go have a look at these comprehensive courses below:
I wish, back then, a site like Udemy would have that would teach me all I need to know to develop a website from scratch, how to get clients, how to use Photoshop, and whatever you want to learn to make a living online. Now, it’s all out there. Go and check it out.
Web Development Courses
- The Complete Web Developer in 2019: Zero to Mastery
- The Web Developer Bootcamp
- The Complete Web Developer Course 2.0
- Graphic Design Bootcamp
- Learn Photoshop, Web Design & Profitable Freelancing
- Character Art School: Complete Character Drawing Course
- The Digital Painting MEGA Course: Beginner to Advanced
Digital Marketing & SEO
- The Complete Digital Marketing Course – 12 Courses in 1
- YouTube Master’s Class – Your Comprehensive Guide to YouTube
- Complete SEO Training With Top SEO Expert Peter Kent!
- ClickBank Success Affiliate Marketing Without A Website
- Affiliate Marketing Advanced: Sell T-Shirts With Teespring
- Amazon & ClickBank Affiliate Marketing + SEO & Copywriting
- Copywriting Secrets – Learn How to Write Copy that Sells
- Copywriting Master Course – Work From Home 3 Hours A Week!
- The Complete Copywriting Course: Write To Sell in 2019
Writing For A Living
- Travel Writing: Explore the World & Publish Your Stories!
- Write a Bestselling Novel in 15 Steps (Writing Mastery)
- How to Sell Your Novel to Major Publishers (Writing Mastery)
Make a Living Blogging
- 2019 Blog Blueprint: How To Turn Blogging Into A Career
- Blog for a Living: Complete Blogging Training Level 1, 2 & 3
- Blogger’s Masterclass: Learn to Build Your Successful Blog 2019
Now It’s Up To You
You know, it’s merely a matter of dedication and endurance.
I suggest that you pick one online generating category from above and dive right in. Go through the free stuff and see if this is something that resonates with you. If so, perhaps decide to pick one or two of the comprehensive courses I’ve preselected for you.
And, before you click away, remember, whatever you do now, however old you are, you can make a living somewhere else in the world. You can live the digital nomad lifestyle.
It’s up to you now. If you want to leave your current course of life behind and start a new one, then you can do so.
I am not an IT specialist. I am a nurse. So, I believe, if you study hard, perhaps every day an hour or two, you too can soon make your first cash online, wherever you are.
Indeed the state of all who are preoccupied is wretched, but the most wretched are those who are toiling not even at their own preoccupations, but must regulate their sleep by another’s, and their walk by another’s pace, and obey orders in those freest of all things, loving and hating. If such people want to know how short their lives are, let them reflect how small a portion is their own. Seneca
As always, I am terribly curious about you! Are you a digital nomad? Do you want to be one? Whatever question or comment whizzes through your mind, put it in the comments below.